Ikon Science, is a leading global geoscience technology company, with locations worldwide including London, Houston, Kuala Lumpur, Calgary and Rio de Janeiro. Ikon Science provides software & solutions to the energy industry – developing & delivering RokDoc® software, knowledge management solutions Curate, iPoint, QI Solutions, GeoPressure and GeoMechanics Consultancy, & Roknowledge Studies, with a fresh & flexible scientific approach to create subsurface value.
About the role
The Test Automation Engineer is a member of our Software Testing team and will work to improve the quality and usability of the Ikon Science software products. This will be achieved through extensive automated testing and exploratory/manual testing before any releases of the software are made available to Ikons’ clients.
- The Test Automation Engineer will be responsible for ensuring that policies and associated requirements are complied with, within their area of responsibility and operation.
- Automation Testing – develop and maintain automated tests in line with the established automation strategy and when required implement any improvements to the automation framework currently in place. Also provide coaching to developers to ensure they produce code with testing in mind.
- Test Result Management – ensure test results are reviewed and issues communicated to the relevant development/product teams in a timely manner.
Exploratory/Manual Testing – where required, employ exploratory testing or test script execution ensuring these tasks are completed in an accurate and efficient manner. Record all issues raised per the issue management process in a clear and concise manner in Azure. Also continue to identify areas of the manual testing ideally suited to the automation testing framework.
- Agile Process (SCRUM/KANBAN) – Attend and contribute to the daily stand up meetings and planning meetings. Complete the planned testing tasks within the allocated development period. Provide feedback during retrospective and review meetings. Take ownership of the products testing responsibilities.
- Weekly Reporting and Time Management – Write a status report delivered weekly in format and timeframe agreed with QA Manager. Organise time in such a way that it is possible to deliver primary accountabilities while maintaining a healthy work / life balance.
- Training and Support – mentor fellow team members on any technical issues that arise and provide on-the-job training of any software used during the development lifecycle.
- Release Testing – ensure accurate checking of software installation and or deployment files are completed to the documented standard and completed before any release to Ikons’ clients.
- Test Automation experience
- Experience testing web applications and or desktop applications
- Previous experience working with Cypress (preferable)
- Exposure to Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Azure DevOps
- Familiarity with Windows & Linux platforms in a commercial environment
- Working knowledge of industry standard programming languages such as Java, React, Java Script or Python
- Computer Science/Software Engineering degree
- Geology/Geophysics degree (desirable)
- ISEB/ISTQB qualified Numerate degree (else sufficient prior automation testing experience)
- Excellent understanding of the purpose of testing and where it fits in to software development lifecycle including a strong understanding of the defect lifecycle and the roles played by each team.
- Outstanding attention to detail.
- Strong planning and leadership skills
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills.
- Good general IT knowledge including use of Windows and Linux operating systems.
- High level of analytical and problem-solving skills on Ikon Science software packages.
- Sufficient understanding of automated testing solutions and frameworks
- Self-motivated – Must be able to work unsupervised and with a ‘can do’ attitude.
- Team Player – Must be an active team member. Willing to help other team members when asked.
- Enthusiastic – Must be aware of the work being done by the entire team and understand where help can be offered. Motivated to ask for help when needed from the appropriate person and ask for more work to be given when a task is completed.
- Time Management – Accepts that software testing is often subject to time constraints and pressure to release. Maintains a professional approach by prioritising responsibilities and informing supervisor if unable to meet deadlines.
- Focus on Excellence – Seeks continuous improvement of Ikon Science software products.
- Professional Development – Actively develop technical expertise with Ikon Science software. Actively develop own testing skill base through formal training. Seek and apply constructive performance feedback.
- Domain Knowledge – Understanding of how Ikon Science software fits into the oilfield lifecycle.
- Reliable – Maintain appropriate and agreed upon office hours and notify supervisor when absence is required.