Ikon Science, is a leading global geoscience technology company, with locations worldwide including London, Houston, Kuala Lumpur, Jakarta, Calgary and Rio de Janeiro. Ikon Science provides software & solutions to the energy industry – developing & delivering RokDoc® software, data management solutions iPoint, QI Solutions, GeoPressure and GeoMechanics Consultancy, & Roknowledge Studies, with a fresh & flexible scientific approach to create subsurface value.
About the role
The Junior Legal Counsel will be a UK qualified solicitor having completed the LPC and trained at a UK national or international firm with experience of IT and technology matters, all of which is a pre-requisite to being considered for this role. This role will report to the General Counsel of Ikon Science.
This role is fast paced and will focus on the provision of timely advise and drafting relating to commercial (software licensing, MSAs, tenders etc), procurement procedures, corporate and compliance, supporting the day to day requirements of the business. The legal counsel will be expected to be a self-starter, have an interest in undertaking research where necessary to produce timely and accurate legal advice and draft contracts and other legal documents and engage in negotiation where needed, under the supervision of the General Counsel.
The role will under normal circumstances be based in our Surbiton office but due to Covid restrictions the successful candidate will be expected to be comfortable with working and supervision remotely until normal work patterns resume.
Contract Drafting and Negotiation
Commercial Contract reviews, advice and drafting including:
- Non-Disclosure Agreements.
- Software licences/Software Development/SAAS Agreements;
- Master Service Agreements; Outsourcing Agreements;
- Using Ikon Science standard contract templates to prepare/agree other agreements (eg. Academic licences, Service Terms and Conditions, subcontracts, consultancy, agency and reseller agreements).
- Amendments to / extension of existing Agreements.
- Ikon internal / service and supplier contracts (including leases, suppliers, facilities etc).
- Advice on copyright/trademark issues and general IP.
Compliance and Regulation
Advising the organisation on a range of compliance and regulatory matters affecting the business, including:
- international sanctions;
- anti-bribery policies and other policies;
- data protection and privacy; and
- intellectual property.
Company Secretarial Assistance
Knowledge of company secretarial processes is an advantage as the role will include assisting with administration of Company Secretarial duties for Ikon Science, including:
- Assisting to convene and service annual general meetings (AGMs)/meetings
- Companies House and other compliance filings (familiarity with web-filing desirable)
- Legal and corporate research
- LLB , LPC and successful completion of training contract a minimum;
Experience and Skills
- Must have UK Law degree, LPC and completed commercial legal training in a reputable national or international firm;
- Possess a working knowledge of commercial contracts and IT and software agreements as well as exposure to corporate work;
- Knowledge of IP would be a bonus;
- This role will to suit NQ to 2 years PQE
- Ability to demonstrate previous experience of legal drafting and commercial contract negotiations;
- Good commercial skills, commercial acumen and a desire to produce high quality, clear and timely legal advice and drafting;
- Experience of managing Company Secretarial duties is desirable;
- Excellent organisational and communication skills;
- Interest in international and cross border work desirable.
- An entrepreneurial mindset with outstanding organizational skills.
- Analytical abilities and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Usual IT and computer skills.
- Eagerness to develop knowledge and research.
- Self-motivator with the ability to manage own work under limited supervision is a critical requirement.
- Ability to manage expectations of challenging client groups including senior management and sales team and able to work under pressure.
- Team player, eager to learn and develop under the guidance of the General Counsel.